Do You Know What Would Help My Headache? Another Miracle Chocolate.

by Alexa on December 11, 2012

1. About half the number of days because chocolate is approximately twice as good as oil.

Currently, my very favorite things in the whole world to put in my face are Ghiradelli Peppermint-Bark-with-Dark-Chocolate Squares. They are sold seasonally, and so I feel I should eat as many as possible now, while I can, as a show of holiday spirit. To that end, Scott bought me a bag of them this past weekend, and before bed that evening, Simone and I set about consuming it. (Much later I went out to get a drink of water only to hear peals of laughter from my husband as I passed him in the living room, because it turned out I had a Ghiradelli squares wrapper stuck—appropriately enough—to my haunch.)
Anyhow, LAST night Simone asked whether there were any more Candy Cake Chocolates (Simone calls “candy canes” “candy CAKES,” for reasons passing understanding) and, remembering that we had eaten the last of them the night before, I regretfully said there were not. But then! When I picked up the bag to show her that it was empty, there were two squares left! One for each of us! We ate our chocolates with gratitude and went to sleep.

An hour ago I went to throw the bag away, feeling hungry and wistful, and as I was folding it up for the trash, I felt something solid in the bottom.
IT WAS ANOTHER SQUARE.
I swear to you, the bag was empty last night. It was on my nightstand, and it was empty. I would never have left a chocolate unmolested on my nightstand during the snack-y evening hours.
How was this possible? No bag of these things had ever lasted more than one night, two at the most, and here we were on night FOUR. And then I remembered: Chanukah. Of course. It’s a Chanukah miracle!
I have now eaten my chocolate and the bag remains stubbornly devoid of more. Next year I shall light four candles to remember.

2. Ham

Twyla, as I may have mentioned, is an extraordinarily hammy baby. You know the phrase “flat affect?” Twyla has the opposite of that. She has a mountainous affect. She splits her whole face open in these mad, comical smiles—most of which now come with motion, and are thus becoming more difficult to capture on film. The rest of the expressions in her repertoire are just as overblown.

She would have made an excellent silent film star.

And then, sometimes, she is just sweet.

She is such a sweet, loving baby. It breaks my heart a bit, for some reason.

3. Eine Kleine Nacht-Kvetching

I have been getting headaches every day for a while. I have one right now. The last time I got frequent headaches was in my early 20s, but those were migraines—awful, soul-killing migraines. These are just plain old headaches. I am sure I am not drinking enough water, maybe that is the problem? But then I’ve never been good at remembering to drink water, and it didn’t bother me before. Maybe it is hormonal? My hair is falling out, which is apparently normal and definitely hormonal, and possibly my thyroid medicine needs adjusting, as I hear that already-screwy thyroids often become even screwier postpartum. Whatever it is, it is exceedingly irritating. A near-constant low-level headache taxes my already meager resources.

And, on that fascinating note, I shall leave you.

Just Me Jen December 11, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Just a headache suggestion. Last spring I started having significantly painful headaches nearly daily. Because I can’t take migraine meds my dr. and I agreed to call them “tension headaches”, quotes included and so I took a muscle relaxant. What I did not know if that using tylenol for serial headaches leads to chronic headaches. Personally I would avoid tylenol if I could take anything else but since I can’t I need to avoid it. My “tension headaches” eventually became my migraines and are part of menopause for me apparently. Hopefully soon I’ll be on a preventative at least. Anyway, headaches plus tylenol=bad.

Carolyn December 11, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Oh, I had those when I was pregnant the first time! “Rebound headaches” can be caused by using even Tylenol or Advil to treat headaches! It was a SUPER awful few days where I went cold turkey without pain killers, and after that – no more headaches! What a stupidly annoying mess that was . . .

Carolyn December 11, 2012 at 9:56 pm

She really is one of the most spectacularly beautiful (and photogenic!) babies I’ve ever seen! She beats the Gerber baby any day!

electriclady December 11, 2012 at 10:11 pm

That is one bee-yoo-tiful baby.

It Is What It Is December 11, 2012 at 10:35 pm

OMG, even though I have never met her (or you, for that matter), I LOVE Twyla. SOOOOOO adorable!

BrilliantOne December 12, 2012 at 12:09 am

1. I have had that SAME thing happen with those SAME chocolates. I LOVE Chanakuh and its miracles!
2. She is so pretty.
3. I know the timing’s different, but I had a headache, constantly, for the first month after my son was born. Turned out I was dehydrated, although I can’t imagine drinking more water than I did. I don’t necessarily have a solution, but I’ve been there too.

beyond December 12, 2012 at 1:34 am

I love Twyla. I love her name, I love her cheeks, I love her. She’s so sweet. So squeezable.
On an other note, my pregnancy broke my thyroids. They are kaputt. It’s just a quick blood test to have your levels checked out…

Cece December 12, 2012 at 5:28 am

She may be sweeter treats than those chocolates. Yummeh.

Swistle December 12, 2012 at 6:00 am

“Next year I shall light four candles to remember.”—Ha ha ha ha ha!

A'Dell December 12, 2012 at 7:20 am

Okay, I found those Ghirardelli square things as a COMPLETE BAR at my Walmart on Monday (EIGHT SQUARES TO A BAR!) and they are so much better as a bar (less guilt-inducing waste of wrappers, more tacit permission to eat the whole thing over an evening).

I have been telling Claire that is is Special Grown Up Chocolate and she isn’t allowed to eat it.

jen December 12, 2012 at 8:17 am

I had a string of several weeks of low level headaches. Full disclosure: I am pregnant. For me it was water related, I think. I drastically upped my water. So much so that I was weary of water. And I went to the chiropractor. Some people think chiropractors are quacky but I’ll take a quack over hard drugs and neurology consult, which was apparently my only option when I called the ob. It is hard to find a good chiropractor though.

KDA December 12, 2012 at 8:17 am

Oh, what a cutey you have!

celia December 12, 2012 at 9:18 am

I have thyroid problems too and after our second son I had way more hair fall out. It was awful, every time I looked in the mirror( not often)I saw a future at Wigs R Us or big hats then people thinking I have cancer. It took MONTHS( our baby is nine months now) and it is slowly starting to fill back in. Our new baby is so happy my husband and I actually made a rule that we had to stop saying how awesome he is.

Sue December 12, 2012 at 10:19 am

Must say that I think your three thoughts a day writing is going brilliantly. Hope it is giving you as much pleasure as it is us. Twyla’s expressions are incredibly sweet.
Cheers!

KeraLinnea December 12, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Miracle chocolate! How wonderful.

Definitely the most photogenic baby in the world. She is just darling. It’s too bad you’re not doing Baby of the Week anymore. She would be tough competition.

I get low-grade, just-present-enough-to-annoy-the-everloving-fuck-out-of-me headaches when I’m mildly dehydrated, so to me, it’s worth making the effort (and the excess bathroom trips) to drink a lot of water. I second the warning about rebound headaches. I never take anything unless the pain gets to soul-sucking levels. I have also had success with a heating pad on my forehead. I don’t know if actually does anything for the pain, but the sense of relaxation from the warmth makes me feel a lot better.

Jennifer H. December 12, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Your baby is amazing. Really: uniquely gorgeous.
I had headaches every day soon after my son was born. I realized I was mostly holding him in my left arm and gazing at him all day. My head was turned to the left and hanging over his head…. and I was probably a little dehydrated, too. Anyway, I figured out that if you want to give yourself a tension headache, there is no better way that hanging your head (weight of a bowling ball!) to one side all day. So, maybe mix up the baby gazing positions? Wouldn’t hurt, could help. Come to think of it, he was in the NICU at that time, so that could have added to my tension (me: not so self-aware).

Myra December 12, 2012 at 4:33 pm

My, she is gorgeous!

Kari December 12, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I had my baby right before you did and also suffer from the same headaches! It’s enough to make it difficult to leave the house. I tried water and that doesn’t seem to be the problem. One thing I found that does help is taking 500mg a day of magnesium. I take mine in a cal/mag supplement and I suppose it is like a natural muscle relaxer.

HereWeGoAJen December 13, 2012 at 8:21 am

Elizabeth calls those chocolates “pizzas” because the very first time she had one was when I (begrudgingly) broke off a corner of mine and it was shaped like a slice of pizza. I haven’t yet come across a miracle bag yet though. Mine do the opposite- they magically empty.

anon December 13, 2012 at 11:43 am

Weell, damn, my ovaries just exploded! Twyla is utterly utterly adorable.

Life of a Doctor's Wife December 13, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Your baby is so beautiful – and I love her wide variety of expressions.