New Things.

by Alexa on June 27, 2013

Twyla turned one, and there is something a little sad about knowing that I have seen my last days as the mother of an infant. Of course, there is a lot of good ahead: I am excited for the deeply weird magic of language acquisition, and for the way Simone and Twyla’s relationship is sure to blossom once Twyla can do more actual playing (though already they occasionally form a band together, as Twyla is more than capable of banging two things together while Simone strums her guitar or sings). I look forward to meeting the three-year-old Twyla will be in a couple of years. But while I know that many people don’t particularly like the baby stage, I do. I love furred, snuggly newborns, and smiling, clapping not-yet-toddlers, and I am all done with that, now, and it is vaguely wistful-making, no matter how content and delighted I am with our family and that family’s imagined future.

The actual first birthday celebration did not go quite as well as I might have hoped—Twyla wasn’t feeling well (cold, molars) and Simone had been at camp all day and was, frankly, a bit of a brat. I seem to hear nothing but what a golden, lovely age is five, but compared to four it is AWFULLY whiny. So much whining! So little listening! Am I the only one who finds this to be the case? I wonder often whether (or, more likely, HOW) I am doing this mother thing wrong. Parenting older children is so much harder than parenting younger ones, because the stakes seem so much higher—they will remember your decisions, your words, and underlying everything is the feeling that you may well be screwing up in deep, permanent ways. (Hey, childless folk! Come on in, the water’s fine!)

Twyla, who loves food more than is really seemly for a baby, was nevertheless entirely uninterested in her cupcake, flinging it on the floor and then staring at her crumb-covered fingers in disgust. It figured, I suppose, that this would be the one day my comically, exuberantly happy baby (she is basically the human infant version of Pinkie Pie, for you My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic fans out there) was in a foul temper. I suppose this is one of the saccharine but nevertheless useful lessons of parenthood, that these events we invest with such importance are just days like any other, and are ultimately both out of our control and meant to be so, because as easy as it is to get wrapped up in the milestones of our children’s early childhoods, these events are not really about us, and yet not half as meaningful to them.

Anyhow, I now have a one-year-old, and though poor Twyla has gotten short shrift on this site, it has been a wonderful year, and I feel preposterously lucky to have ended up with this goony, sweet girl, whom I love beyond reason.

On Sunday I took Simone to her first movie in a theater: “My Little Pony: Equestria Girls” (I keep typing “Girls of Equestria,” which sounds like a very specialized Playboy issue ). The theater was, surprisingly for a Sunday morning show, quite crowded, mostly with teenagers. (There was a pack of teenaged boys who came in together, causing the girls behind us to let out an excited squeal of “BRONIES!”)

Simone had been planning this movie trip for a while, and for some reason was intent on buying her own popcorn. She brought her wallet over to me one afternoon to have me count the coins to see if there were enough, and when there weren’t, proposed she pay for the popcorn with her library card. I assured her that it was my treat, but she was not having it, and finally got the cash together by selling some cheese to my mother at our last Happy Hour (50 cents a piece!) (the Happy Hour was at my mother’s, and my mother had, in fact, provided said cheese).

Popcorn sizes seem to have become grossly inflated, and we ended up with about four times as much popcorn as was actually required–which is saying something, as Simone and I can both eat the SHIT out of some popcorn. The movie was just the right length for a first movie, I think (1hr, 12 minutes), and Simone only said it was “too loud” once. I have sensory issues that can make movies in the theater unpleasant, and I swear to movies have gotten louder since I was a kid (Listen to me! Popcorn is to big! Movies are too loud! KIDS TODAY!) so we sat way in the back, which I think helped. As to whether Simone enjoyed herself, part of the way through, during one of the musical numbers, she turned to me and stage-whispered “I didn’t know it would be so awesome!” Also, she wants to see it again next weekend.

I’m not sure why we waited so long to take her to a movie, or were so sure she would be scared/wasn’t old enough to have fun. I was pretty terrified after seeing ET in the theater when I was young, so maybe that was part of it. But I remember going to see Splash when I was Simone’s age, and saying to my parents afterward that I wished it would never end, and I think I would have gone to that movie every day for a month if they’d let me. Splash wasn’t even a kids’ movie (though it did have a mermaid, obviously a selling point). At the risk of sounding crotchety yet AGAIN, I will say that there were more adult movies back then that were…slow. Shots have gotten so fast (a fact I remember my film teacher in college bemoaning at great length), and the visual pace so frenetic and music-video-like, and the expectations for effects so high, that it feels like movie storytelling is vastly different than it was twenty-five years ago. Which is fine! But a lot of movies are not great for the easily overstimulated, is what I am saying.

I’ve been writing again. Technically I’ve been working on Book Number Two almost since my first book came out, but only technically—in a forced, desultory sort of way, in tiny dribbles here and there, with occasional (brief) bursts of inspiration. In truth, I was spent and exhausted for a long while, and then there was my pregnancy, and the drain of constant financial worries, and though it pains me to admit it, working on my second book was something I was doing because I felt like I should, and unsurprisingly I made almost no progress at all. I don’t know what changed; maybe I just needed time to let my poor brain lie fallow, maybe the several months I had of relative financial calm this year settled me a little, but suddenly I have my writing energy back, and it has been lovely to walk around with my head buzzing again, to be absentmindedly putting things where they don’t belong because I am worrying a paragraph in my head while unloading the dishwasher. I am SO EXCITED about this book, and so full of ideas. I’d forgotten what this feels like, both the delicious flush of writing a great sentence, and the misery of rereading a day’s work to find it completely awful, and if I am spending a lot of time hand-wringing over the state of the essay I am working on, well, that’s okay, because it’s awfully invigorating to be this challenged and engaged. Writing, if I’m doing it right, is the hardest thing in the world for me, but on a good day it feels like we are evenly matched opponents, me and the nebulous whatever I am trying to pin down.

Linda ~ a fashionable life for me June 27, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Yes, I remember watching ET in the cinema when it came out I think I was 5 or 6 and telling my dad it was too long! I have 6 & 4 yr old children and their interaction is wonderful – makes me smile everyday but I miss the baby stage too! But yes girls are so whiny (is that spelt right?) at that age, my daughter is like a teenager with exaggerated gestures and flopping and sighs! I agree that it is harder not easier as they get older, unfortunately. Am thrilled you are writing book number 2, I bought and cried through your first! Can’t wait.

HereWeGoAJen June 27, 2013 at 4:40 pm

I suspect that if I had unlimited resources (and let’s be honest- a night nanny), I would probably have a baby every two years or so into perpetuity. I love babies so.

I bet my mother would also be willing to buy her own cheese at $.50 a piece.

a June 27, 2013 at 5:15 pm

5 was fine in our house. 6 has been the whining stage. But even that’s tolerable compared to the “you don’t play with me enough/do what I want to do” dictator aspect of 6. All in all, though, it’s always entertaining.

Happy Birthday to Twyla!

Glad to hear that writing is going well…hope it continues indefinitely.

Melanie June 27, 2013 at 5:58 pm

On Allie’s first birthday she sobbed when she touched her cupcake and found frosting on her fingers…. and she screamed when a well meaning relative tried to get her to lick said finger. It was pitiful and so anti-climatic that my Mom in a stroke of brilliance asked if I had a popsicle or ice cream sandwich in my freezer and thankfully I had the latter. Her first b-day “cake” pic was a baby latched on to a ice cream sandwich so hard it was splitting in two with big fat tears still rolling down her cheeks. LOL the highlight of that day however was a mere hour later my super cautious baby who hadn’t taken more than 2-3 steps without touching someone/something took the opportunity to show off her walking skills in front of everyone attending the party. We were so shocked to see her walking so securely everywhere that we quickly got over our cake disappointments lol.

Melanie June 27, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Also Allie just turned 5 the end of May and OMG the whining. She’s been going to practice kindergarten the past two weeks, and here in Kansas City kindergarten is all day so practice kindergarten is only slightly shorter (9-3 instead of 9-4) and clearly she is coming home exhausted but still, WOW.

It Is What It Is June 27, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Oh, that Twyla is a doll and her big sis, Simone, too.

If you think the whining is bad at 5, no one warns you about 6. Six! SO.MUCH.WHINING!

Yes, little kids, little problems, big(ger) kids, big(ger) problems. This is where parenting really starts.

Angella June 28, 2013 at 10:15 am

Happy to hear that you found your writing mojo. Your first book is one of my all-time favorites. :)

HOW is Twyla one? I mean, we’re friends elsewhere (Twitter/IG/etc.), but HOW? You JUST had her.

And as for movies – ET was my first movie too. :)

Christy June 28, 2013 at 4:27 pm

I am also one of those weirdos who loves the baby stage. The snuggles! The giant baby grins! The delicious chubby appendages!
My kids never followed the typical “this age sucks”/”this age is golden” stuff. I must be one of only 2-3 people in the universe who liked three better than two and don’t even get me started on Five, which has been one of my LEAST favorite ages so far do to ungodly amounts of whining and sososososo much pouting {admittedly I’m only up to {almost} 8 so I’m sure the teenage years will give 5 a run for its dirty, no good money}. My daughter grew much sunnier at 6 so I’m hoping my current 5 year old will follow suit.

Happy One to Twyla!

Alexa July 3, 2013 at 10:18 am

I loved Three! Three was WONDERFUL! And I am so glad I am not the only one with a whiny Five, and even gladder to hear that Six may be sunnier…

Amanda June 29, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I’ve been meaning to take the kid to see Equestria Girls but nowhere around here seems to be showing it!

Please tell me where you got that amazing goat shirt for Twyla. I think my niece (arriving this August!) needs one.

Alexa July 3, 2013 at 10:19 am

It was a gift, so I am not sure where it is from but I was already planning to check the tag and find it because I really want to see if they have an adult version, so I will let you know what I find out…

Katie June 29, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I could not possibly agree with you more about the whining that accompanies five, and I refuse to believe that six will be worse, so I’m just plugging my ears when people say that. Is Simone at camp the rest of the summer? Kiernan’s got Spanish camp until the 12th but would love to set up a playground date after that (or on the 4th of July, if you’re like me and don’t have camp but also don’t have plans until evening).

Alexa July 3, 2013 at 10:20 am

Playground date would be wonderful! Simone’s camp ends the 19th, so maybe late July?

Katie July 3, 2013 at 10:44 am

Sounds good! We’re on vacation until the 21st anyways, so late July should be perfect. But hot.

Swistle June 30, 2013 at 7:37 pm

1. I found age 4 golden and age 5…unpleasant.

2. Ha—Pinky Pie baby!

3. Second book—yay!

Alexa July 3, 2013 at 10:22 am

Yes, I thought age four was GREAT. Three was challenging but fun, and four was even better, and then…well.

agirlandaboy July 1, 2013 at 11:40 pm

I CAN’T WAIT FOR YOUR NEXT BOOK ALL CAPS!!!!

Alexa July 3, 2013 at 10:24 am

I am pretty excited about it too. I hope you like it! I love this early part of book writing, when nothing is set in stone or ruined yet, and it could still turn out to be perfect.

Autumn Canter July 2, 2013 at 12:40 pm

My five year old also whines…a lot. We’re over halfway through five now and it has tapper off after much discussion and scolding of why whining pisses off the parents/doesn’t work except to piss off the parents/needs can be expressed in other ways that don’t piss off the parents. :D